Thursday, April 5, 2012

#1 - "As We Gather Once Again" - President Monson

I decided to start a new blog where I (and hopefully others, too!) can discuss and collaborate on insights and questions regarding the LDS faith as we study the scriptures, words from living prophets and church manuals. I am not writing this blog to hear myself talk or because I think I am so knowledgeable or spiritual. In fact, it's a little outside my comfort zone to publicly post my thoughts about my religion. However, I think it will be beneficial to me, so here I go. I have been reading the book "Daughters in My Kingdom" (available online at lds.org) and I am LOVING it. As an LDS, female engineer with a masters degree, I am really loving how empowering this book is towards women. If someone thinks that the church represses women, I recommend reading this book. I have a lot of thoughts about it, but we also just had General Conference and I have a lot of thoughts about the talks there as well. So, I am going to start with General Conference and just try to go one talk at a time. I almost skipped President Monson's opening remarks, but I realized that I should not skip what the living prophet has said, even if his remarks were short and introductory. Also, what better way to start my General Conference blog series than with an introduction from our prophet in General Conference? "As We Gather Once Again" - President Thomas S. Monson Full text: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/as-we-gather-once-again?lang=eng What first pops out at me are the blessings we receive from participating in (I consider actively listening participating) General Conference. These answers might be considered "no-brainers" but it is amazing to me just how many blessings he lists. By participating in Conference, we may:
  • gain strength from one another
  • receive and extend encouragement
  • find comfort
  • build and strengthen our faith
  • learn (this one is so obvious, but so awesome)
  • find answers to questions
  • find enlightenment, upliftment (I don't think this is a word, oh well), and comfort
  • feel the Spirit of the Lord
  • find the incentive and courage to change
  • find answers to questions
  • gain help with challenges
  • have an increased resolve to live worthily
  • have an increased strength to oppose evil
Just looking at all these blessings makes me happy and motivates me to get the most out of General Conference by studying and praying about all the talks given. Like anyone, I am always in need of all of these blessings. "How blessed we are to have come to earth at such a time as this—a marvelous time in the long history of the world." I recently read a book on the history of medicine, specifically regarding sulfa drugs and antibiotics, in the 1900's. It was fascinating - I'm serious. It's called "The Demon Under the Microscope" by Thomas Hager. Anyway, this book helped me realize how blessed we are to live in a day with antibiotics. I didn't realize how recently they were discovered. My grandparents were born before they were used at all in the United States. My grandparents. That is not that long ago at all. Modern technology is pretty amazing, too. When I think that when I was born, no one had ever heard of the Internet...and I am not that old. People often talk about the isolating effect technology can have on people, but I love how President Monson focuses on its unifying effect: that people from everywhere across the world can participate as a single church, together. It really is a beautiful, amazing thing. "There is much that is difficult and challenging in the world today, my brothers and sisters, but there is also much that is good and uplifting. As we declare in our thirteenth article of faith, 'If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.' May we ever continue to do so." Once again, President Monson looks at the positive and reminds us of the 13th article of faith - which is definitely one of my favorites. The church has been attracting negative attention and I personally have experienced it as well. It can be disheartening, because I truly do not wish anyone else harm or wrong. However, I still need to seek for the good things in the world AND in other people - things virtuous, lovely or of good report or praiseworthy. The funny thing is that I love finding new wonderful and beautiful things: I love learning new things and reading new books, looking at beautiful artwork, experiencing beautiful nature, etc... It is interesting that I do not seek these things as often as I feel I should. Of course, it is easier to sit back and do nothing, but it is so much better to try and experience the wonderful things in life. I also need to do this in other people. The people who have been the harshest to me about my beliefs are actually my friends. But that does not make them bad people - they are wonderful people who do many great things and who I really care about. I need to make sure I seek out the good and appreciate the good in all people.. "Our Heavenly Father is mindful of each of us and our needs. May we be filled with His Spirit as we partake of the proceedings of this conference." I know this is true, because Heavenly Father has shown me often in my life that He is mindful of me. I was filled with His Spirit as I watched General Conference and I continue to be as I study them. I love personal revelation and that God can speak to each one of us, according to our own needs/questions/desires, through the same talks. I love that no one is assigned a specific topic and yet each so often perfectly complement one another. Often, specific themes occur that could only happen through inspiration and not the planning of man. I also love the music of General Conference and often find answers to my questions or comfort to my soul through the beautiful hymns. I wrote down a list of questions and problems that I wanted assistance with from General Conference and while some are too personal to share in this setting, I will note the answers I received as is appropriate during the talk that answered them. Teri's Take Away:
  • study and learn from the talks in order to receive the blessings listed by our living prophet
  • be ever thankful for the blessing of living in this modern time - it is exciting! (and bonus: modern medicine is a lot less painful, too!)
  • seek out the virtuous and praiseworthy things both in the world and in other people

1 comment:

  1. So this year I hardly saw ANY of General Conference. I missed Saturday morning and most of Saturday afternoon because I had class and Matt had a get-together with his research group that he wanted me to go to. On Sunday, we watched with friends and the kids were so distracting I hardly got anything out of it. BUT I decided to listen to a conference talk or two a day. I started yesterday and listened to this talk. I had just read your entry a little bit before listening to it and it was actually very helpful in paying attention to the blessings he listed.

    A lot of the time when people start making lists, I lose my focus. Since I had just read your blog, though, I paid particular attention and felt the spirit whispering that those were prophetic promises.

    I came into this conference with a specific question in mind and I was happy to hear him mention that there are people who are seeking answers. That's me!

    I'm grateful that I didn't just blow off the opening remarks as I often do. I guess there's a reason for them, after all. :)

    Thanks for your blog, Teri. I hope you keep it up even if no one else comments. I will and it will make for a fun way to learn and ponder a little deeper.

    One last thought: I love how varied General Conference is each time. There will always be talks that don't speak much to you, but there will ALWAYS be at least a part of a talk that does. I think my goal for this conference isn't going to be to try to force myself to learn from each talk, but to seek out the talks (and portions of talks) that touch my spirit, build my testimony, and answer my questions. Also, sometimes I think the Lord gives us a gentle push toward the questions we SHOULD be asking even if we haven't yet. I'll watch for those, too.

    Thanks again for posting this, Teri. Definitely gave me a spiritual boost.

    ReplyDelete