Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Turning the Other Cheek - Part #1

Sorry, this post is not in reference to the next General Conference talk, but I thought I would write about something I've been pondering today. What does Christ mean when He tells us to turn the other cheek? I feel like there are multiple interpretations of this commandment and I'd like to gain a better understanding of what it really means.

First of all, I do not think Christ wants us to remain in abusive relationships with anyone. Christ does not want us to be in unhealthy relationships with people who are continually hurting us. My husband believes that Christ does not want us to be around people that hurt us but that turning the other cheek simply means to forgive and not hold grudges for people who have. I've heard other people interpret turning the other cheek to mean that we should turn away from people that hurt us. However, I'm wondering if it's not that simple. For example, I have a person in my life with whom I would like to have a wonderful relationship (not romantically). I make many overtures but our relationship, while still good, is not what I consider optimal or ideal. I have been advised by another person (and felt like myself as well sometimes) to stop trying because trying hurts. It sets me up with a hope and then when I get rebuffed, I feel sad and rejected all over again. For awhile, I thought that this was sound advice and that I should strive to just not care anymore but to be ready with open arms when that particular person "wakes up" and wants to have a better relationship. For many situations, it probably is sound advice. But, as I pondered, prayed and thought about it, I realized I didn't feel good about giving up. I felt that I should continue to try in small ways to work on improving the relationship. I felt that in doing this, I would be turning the other cheek and potentially learning more about how God feels when I do not seek a relationship with Him as I should.

An example of turning the other cheek is one my husband mentioned, which occurs in Alma 44 of the Book of Mormon. The Nephites had been attacked by the Lamanites because of their religion. The Nephites were righteous and had been helped by the Lord to defeat the Lamanites in battle. Captain Moroni (leader of the Nephites) then says the following to Zerahemnah (leader of the Lamanites) - these are excerpts from verses 1, 2 and 6:

     "Behold, Zerahemnah, that we do not desire to be men of blood. Ye know that ye are in our hands, yet we do not desire to slay you. Behold, we have not come out to battle against you that we might shed your blood for power; neither do we desire to bring any one to the yoke of bondage. But this is the very cause for which ye have come against us; yea, and ye are angry with us because of our religion...I command you by all the desires which ye have for life, that ye deliver up your weapons of war unto us, and we will seek not your blood, but we will spare your lives, if ye will go your way and come not again to war against us."

(Sorry for the lame footnotes and underlining I can't seem to get rid of - I will get better at this whole blogging thing soon, hopefully).  

Basically, Captain Moroni and his people defended themselves when the Lamanites attacked them, but they did not want to murder them or take revenge for putting them through war. The Nephites were perfectly justified in defending themselves from captivity with physical violence but they only used as much violence as was necessary to defend themselves. I feel like they did the right thing and that this story contains a facet of what it is to turn the other cheek. (I also feel it justifies what I said earlier about not remaining in an abusive/hostile environment or relationship. We need to be assertive in defending ourselves from those who wish to hurt us.)

However, another example from the Book of Mormon also comes to my mind. This story involves the Anti-Nephi-Lehis. These people were previous Lamanites who had previously been evil and war-like but who had been converted. Due to their previous sins and bloodthirsty natures, they made a covenant with the Lord that they would never again shed blood and they buried all their weapons as a symbol of this covenant. The Lamanites still desired to war against the Nephites and take them into captivity if they could and they hated even more the Anti-Nephi-Lehi people for converting to the religion of the Nephites. The people knew the Lamanites were coming with the intent to destroy them but they made no preparations for war. When the Lamanites began attacking the Anti-Nephi-Lehi people, they refused to break their covenant and stood and were killed without raising a hand to defend themselves. It is widely assumed that the men stood in front of the women and children and that is why the sons of that generation were taught by their mothers. After a time (and the murder of 1005 people), the Lamanites stopped attacking. In verses 25 and 26 of Alma 24, it reads (referring to the Lamanites):

"And it came to pass that they threw down their weapons of war, and they would not take them again, for they were stung for the murders which they had committed; and they came down even as their brethren [the Anti-Nephi-Lehis], relying upon the mercies of those whose arms were lifted to slay them. And it came to pass that the people of God were joined that day by more than the number who had been slain; and those who had been slain were righteous people, therefore we have no reason to doubt but what they were saved."

This story is one of the most powerful in all of the scriptures for me. The people were willing to give their lives to keep the covenant promise they had made with the Lord. Their willingness to sacrifice themselves for this promise is an amazing act of faith and had an unexpected blessing: that many of bloodthirsty, attacking Lamanites actually became converted through this example of peace (I don't mean to be irreverent but I also love the out-of-the-box solution). These people must have accepted these members of the Lamanite army and forgiven them, because they were converted to their religion. Thus, the Lamanites must have been taught by those whom they had just attacked. I believe this story truly embodies turning the other cheek. 

Also, we must look to the ultimate example of turning the other cheek: Christ, who was meek in the face of betrayal, persecution, torture and death. Christ had the power to defend Himself from anything man could do, but He chose not to in order to fulfill His Father's higher purpose. There have been and will be times when followers of Christ will be persecuted for His sake and He has shown us how to behave. We must "Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you." Turning the other cheek then means not only NOT seeking revenge or retaliation for wrongs done to us, but a step beyond that: to love and pray for those who we consider our enemies.

Does anyone else have additional comments or insights into the meaning behind this commandment?

7 comments:

  1. Teri, I think your friends and family (myself included) are afraid to add anything to your blog because you put it so well already! I have thought a lot about this idea because I used to pride myself on my ability to "stand up for myself." I considered it a part of my personality that I wouldn't let anyone get away with disrespecting me. I'm not sure exactly when this concept started changing for me, but I think it was around the time I went to college. I realized that the qualities I was so proud of were absolutely not the kinds of qualities that Christ encouraged. I have worked hard since then to change that attitude and become a meeker and humbler person. For me, a lot of my progress toward meekness has come from trying to seek a better understanding of people. (Their histories and experiences as well as their motivations.)

    I have also thought a lot about the concept of moderation as I've been studying out my opinions on important issues. I think that one of the greatest tests of this life is our ability to find balance. And for me, the ability to find the balance even in the commandments can be a challenge. This is a fine example of that dilemma. I strongly believe that, as you said, staying in an abusive or harmful relationship is not what God wants for us. This is why the concept of humilty/meekness/forgiveness is particularly hard for me to teach (in Relief Society). Individual situations vary so much. I think your decision to ponder and pray about what to do is the best for that reason. Heavenly Father is the only one who knows how to balance each of our scales.

    Thanks for another excellent and thought provoking post. We need to work on recruiting people to this site. I think it would be so fun to get some more perspectives. Love ya! Cam

    ReplyDelete
  2. The context of the "turn the other cheek" sometimes confuses me. I am confident that God doesn't want us to allow ourselves to be hurt, but I am not nearly as confident that he wants us to protect our possessions and our pride from others. Since it comes right before "and him that taketh away thy cloke, forbid not to take thy coat also," it seems to me like Christ really intends us to give, even when we are not receiving or are truly being cheated or taken in. And that's really hard for me to swallow, or to humble myself enough to agree or comply. Does anyone else see that section differently?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the part that's bothering me (and probably all of us) is the possible implications of this advice. I can't help but imagine someone being horribly mistreated because of their intent to comply with it.

    I do not think that is what Christ intended, Jaime. During Conference, there was a statement or two made that made me cringe because of my social work perspective. I think it's important to remember that each talk given is for an intended audience. To me it has been helpful to consider who the audience is. In this case, I don't think abused women are Christ's intended audience.

    Does anyone know the context a bit better? My guess is that Christ's hypothetical situation with the cloke is not even intended to be a situation where someone takes it without permission. Perhaps he meant, if you offer your cloke to someone who needs it and they accept, give your coat as well.

    I don't know how he meant it, but I go back to my earlier comment: the commandments and advice that Christ gives are crucial, but even more important is the guidance of the spirit in understanding their application in one's personal life.

    I'm interested to hear what your thoughts are, Jaime and Teri. (And those of you who are reading but not commenting).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I thought about it more, I think I'd like to take back my statement that I don't think it's talking about someone who takes your coat. It might be. But, boy, that DOES make this complicated, doesn't it???

      Delete
  4. I wanted to comment, but I didn't have anything to say. But I am reading and listening and thinking. Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Jeni. It makes me happy that you are reading.

      Delete
  5. Yay! Thanks for making your presence known, Jeni. It's fun to all just be reading the same thing. I'm sure you guys have no idea how much I pine for you. :(

    Love yoU!
    Cam

    ReplyDelete